August 15, 2008

Technology - Gotta Love It!

My first classroom presentation of the new school year bombed! I was supposed to show the new sixth graders how to logon to the network. 25 fresh faces watching me expectantly, and eacher to try out the new "responsible" middle school way of getting connected.
Land mine number one: a power strip in the laptop cart was not turned on. Eight of the little babies wouldn't turn on.
Land mine number two: Server glitch just as the students were choosing their new passwords that they would use to login to the network all year long.
It really didn't bother me whatsoever, except that I could see the disappointment in many fresh young faces. Little do they know that by the end of the year, they will be wondering, "What was I thinking when I chose THAT for a password? It is so babyish!"

Talking History
Virsona is a site that I am anxious to share with Social Studies and English teachers. http://www.virsona.com/ Students can create and interact with "virtual personas" of living, historical or fictional characters. The virtual community environment appeals to middle schoolers to help them learn more about the person or character they are studying. There are also lesson plans available.

No comments:

Post a Comment