August 19, 2008

School Supplies

I took my son to Wal-Mart last night to get a few remaining school supplies he needed for his Sophomore year. We bought some tab dividers, a zippered bag to put in a 3-ring binder to hold the graphing calculator that I had to sign a contract stating that I would pay $100 for if it got lost or damaged, and a 2-gig flash drive.
What ever happened to Big Chief tablets and the 8-pack of fat Crayolas? I didn't really mind buying the flash drive because I know it will make my son's life tons easier when dealing with homework; however, I sympathize with many parents out there that also have a child who is disorganized, to say the least. Although my child could also misplace a Big Chief tablet, it would be cheaper to replace, and it would be less likely that an entire semester's worth of school work would be stored on it when lost. Because it's minuscule size, it is almost a certainty that my son will lose his by Labor Day.
Any good ideas out there for helping a mom figure out a way to ensure that a kid keeps hold of his school work, short of duct taping it to his forehead?

Shelfari
Shelfari http://www.shelfari.com/ is a social book site that lets users build a shelf to display the books they've read, want to read or are reading now. The user gets to be the critic by rating and reviewing other user's books so their Shelfari friends can see what they think. Users can also create groups to participate in literature circles. For readers, it is an awesome site to share what they have read or learn about books they might want to read. For reluctant readers, Shelfari can spark new interests and help them find more meaning in what they are reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment