April 23, 2009

Microsoft: My "No Surprises" Friend

What was the very first Microsoft product you used? Paint? Excel? Works? Chances are if you first used a computer in the 80's like I did, it was MS-DOS. Surprised? Microsoft first made it's operating system, MS-DOS, available in 1982. If you are a bit younger, your first OS was most likely Windows, introduced in 1985.

I can't really recall using computers at all in my school days. I graduated from high school in 1983. I remember taking a class called office machines, but all I really remember about the class was learning how to use a 10-key by touch. The school library had a card catalog that was a series of drawers holding index cards. In typing class, we typed on typewriters.

In college, I took a class called "Introduction to Computers". While I don't really remember too much about the course, I do remember using a computer and thinking that it wasn't that hard.

What sticks out most in my mind is my first teaching job. I was hired in November, well after the school year had begun. I was hired as a math improvement teacher in a Title 1 school (at the time called Chapter 1). I will never forget the very first group of children that came into my math lab on my very first day. They were a group of energetic sixth graders. They entered my classroom much less nervous than I had on that day. One boy asked if they could "get on the computers". My heart sank! I couldn't believe they were asking the one thing I had prayed they wouldn't. What was the reason for my despair? I didn't know how to turn the computers on!!

Luckily, I got caught up in their energy. After questioning them about how often they were allowed to use the computers, I let them sit down and I began to watch their every move!

I have come a long way since that first day in November of 1988. All the way from learning how to use a computer from 12 year olds to teaching community classes on Windows and MS Word. All the way from a math lab to technology integrator.

I have learned much along the way, but I always go back to my humble beginnings standing in that math lab peeking over the shoulders of those sixth graders. I now have a great deal of knowledge, but I can always learn more. Each bit of knowledge is returned back to my students, be they children or adults. If I think about all that I have learned and then returned (through teaching) with technology, Microsoft products would top the list.

Besides Windows OS, Microsoft's Office products such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint have been invaluable in teaching and learning. I love using these with students and helping them create digital representations of their new knowledge. The geek in me loves the idea that none of these products were created with students in mind. Between my thirst for learning, and ideas shared at http://www.microsoft.com/, I have been able to stretch the limits of my mind and others when thinking of uses for these programs.

In addition to Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, I can not leave out the tried-and-true Paint. I can't really remember the first time I used it, but the last time was just yesterday to "erase" part of an image. A few weeks ago, I spent a day in an 8th grade Science room introducing MovieMaker. Students took a 42 minute overview and turned it into several wonderful videos that showed their understanding of the science concepts they learned.

And then there is IE, for those of you who have been living under a rock for the past decade and a half, I am referring to Internet Explorer. This browser has been my loyal companion as my world has expanded through the vast network. I can't IMAGINE teaching and learning without it. It is my dictionary, thesaurus, advice columnist, telephone book, encyclopedia, stationery, cookbook and more.

As I have been typing this blog, I have been considering why I have such a fondness for all things Microsoft. The answer was easy. Microsoft IS easy! If you learn one program, you have essentially learned them all. For example, I can depend on using ctrl + c to copy no matter what product I am using. The continuity from OS to program to browser makes my job as teacher and learner a piece of cake.

Thank you, Microsoft, for being my "no surprises" friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment