November 24, 2008

Of 1:1 and Podcasting

Today I am at a 1:1 Laptop Summit hosted by Holton Public Schools in northeast Kansas. Our district is looking implement a 1:1 program and are still in the research phase. In the library at Holton High School about 50 people are gathered from across the state. Some are from districts that already have a 1:1 program like Holton; others are like my school district, here to gather information.
I was very interested in coming to listen in because I was concerned that we might not be thinking of EVERYTHING we need to as we plan. So far, it looks as if we are doing OK. I am also relieved to know that the issues we are facing are being faced by those already involved, or planning an implementation of their own.
Some solutions have been offered. On our drive back home, I am sure we will discuss these in detail. One such solution is to create a "white list" of acceptable sites for use at school, as opposed to a "black list" of unacceptable sites. I am curious about how this works. Anyone out there using a "white list"? If so, I would love your feedback about how it works in your district.
Even with the ideas shared here, I know our district can not afford to rush into a program as big as this without thinking it through thoroughly.

Gcast
Gcast is a website that allows you to create a podcast by dialing a toll-free number from any phone anywhere. Alan Beam, principal of Holton High and presider of the 1:1 laptop summit, explained how he uses it for school announcements. Check out more information about how to use Gcast at November Learning. I am excited to use this free service and share it with my teachers!

No comments:

Post a Comment