December 04, 2008

I Feel Loved!

Yesterday Johanna, a colleague, emailed me to ask me why I hadn't written a new post in a week. The fact is, I have just been too busy. At least that is what I tell myself. However, it takes only one little email to spur me into action. Funny how knowing that just ONE person might be interested in what I have to say makes me feel loved!
It's really human nature, isn't it? As teachers, friends, family members, and human beings, we need to remember that all people want to feel appreciated. Taking time to remind a student of one of their good points, telling a relative you love them, complimenting a friend on their outfit - hairdo - cooking, etc, or even stepping outside your door when the mailman is filling the mailboxes and offering him a smile and a thanks, isn't really hard to do. And the gestures mean so much to the recipient. Just like a little message in my inbox. Thanks, Johanna. I feel loved!

Learning to Give
Learning to Give is the curriculum division of The LEAGUE, an organization to promote community service by students in the school setting. To quote from the site:
Students are often recognized for their achievements on the field and in the
classroom, but how often are they recognized for giving back? The LEAGUE is a
school-based system that combines state standards-based lesson plans with
community service events that teach students the value of giving and recognizes
them for their efforts.
The Learning to Give site has resources for teachers, students, parents, youth workers, faith groups and independent schools. Lesson plans are tied to state standards and designed for grades K-12 to teach students about philanthropy and the value of donating time to a worthy cause. There are games to play to increase understanding of community service, as well as many other resources.

1 comment: