October 20, 2008

Oldies...with a Twist!

When I really started getting into technology about 12 years ago, I learned about a program that I thought was the coolest thing going! It was a presentation software that would really help me illustrate important points in my lectures. Yep, I am talking about PowerPoint. Wow, I was in love with creating presentations with bulleted lists, varied transitions, and even that cool typewriter text animation. My students were awed and amazed.
Time passed and I found out that my 5th graders were coming to school knowing more about PowerPoint than I did. Then came the point that students would groan if I showed a .ppt or asked them to create one. I thought that the program had finally run it's course. Seemed a shame, especially since I had a gazillion presentations already created.
I think there is still a chance for PowerPoint. With the integration capabilities with other software like Promethean and eInstruction, just to name a couple, (and don't forget Google Docs!) teachers can dust off those old presentations and breathe new life into them.

Pete's PowerPoint Station
This site has hundreds of presentations organized by subject area for grades 2-8. Many of the presentations can be downloaded, but some are view-only. Why start at square one?

School District PowerPoint Archives
I am sharing two district sites that have a good listing of education PowerPoints. First is NEBO school district in Springville, Utah. Check out their archives here.
(The other site is not responding. I will edit post when the site is working.)

PowerPoint Palooza
Over 200 presentations related to American History, World History, Global Studies and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment