October 15, 2008

Blog Action Day: Poverty - I Don't Know You

Today I am participating in Blog Action Day 08 - Poverty. I feel at a loss at what to write, though I feel compelled to write. I chose my title because I have never known poverty. I don't know many people who have. Last spring, I had surgery and couldn't eat for a day. I was starving! Starvation - I don't know you.
When my husband and I were first married, I was still in college and we had a baby. We ate lots of hot dogs and macaroni and cheese because we were so poor. Poverty - I don't know you.
When I was 10 years old, my parents were divorced. I lived with my mom and brother and sister in rent-controlled housing and qualified for reduced lunches at my elementary school. Desperation - I don't know you.
I have taught the poor, desperate and hungry. Their lives are not easy, yet they don't give up. They come to school, watch out for their siblings while their parents look for work, handouts or drugs. They find room in their hearts to give their teacher a smile, a hug, a dirty stuffed animal for Christmas.
Poverty - I don't know you, but I want to help. Please go to Blog Action Day 08 and see what you can do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment