October 21, 2008

Facebook - Connecting Near and Far

My daughter created a profile for me on Facebook last year when she was preparing to leave for a study abroad in Costa Rica. She wanted me to use Facebook so I would have a means to look at all the pictures she posted of her beautiful temporary home. She hooked me up with some of my nieces and nephews so that I would have some friends right away. Immediately, one of the teen aged nieces became suspicious of my reasons for wanting to be her friend. She was afraid that I was going to tell her mom (my sister) things I read on her wall, etc. Little does she know that my sister and I learned a long time ago to not tell on anyone. This goes way back to when we were kids. If we would have started telling our parents on each other, we would still be grounded today.

Soon my list of friends grew from 4 to 7, then 15 and now, as of five minutes ago, 23! Some of my friends work down the hall from me. Some used to be my students, and some my former classmates. My newest friend is my most long-distance friend, Gao Fan, from China. Fan was a visiting teacher in our district for three semesters. Even with all the communication tools we have today, it is not too easy to keep in touch with the time difference. I love that I can now peek into my friend's life from so far away whenever I want to! (Well, except when I am at work. My district blocks Facebook : ( )

Doodle
Doodle is a polling site that is very easy to use. You can quickly create an event-scheduling poll, or an options poll. When you create the poll, a URL is issued so you can notify pollees of the poll. If you sign up for a free account, you can have the poll results sent to your email, and save polls. My favorite part is that there is now an iGoogle widget!
Try my poll now
http://www.doodle.com/9edeudwp66i353td

No comments:

Post a Comment