February 16, 2009

Four Contests - Pt. II

So how many of you are coming back because of yesterday's teaser? Hopefully you just want to know what the other two contests are, but if you are truly interested in what (significant) contests (ok, maybe they should be qualified as sweepstakes)I have entered and won then DON'T skip to the bottom.

The first big contest I entered and won was back in 1992. A local travel agency was promoting the 20th anniversary of Disney's Epcot center. My daughter, who was 5 then, and I were planning a trip to Denver for a wedding. We stopped in the travel agency to discuss the Denver trip. While there, I quickly signed up for the "grand prize" which was a trip to Disney World. Now for the witty part of the story: After we left, I told my daughter that I was sure we were going to win, because I wrote "Pick me" on the entry form. She asked me if I also put "please" because that was the polite thing to do. Of course I hadn't, but knew we weren't going to win anyway. We continued with our errands for the day and then went home.

Once home, my husband told me that the travel agency called and said they had my "travel certificates" and that I was supposed to call back. He didn't know anything else. I told him that I think I had won a contest and he told me I was crazy.

Well, I did win that contest, but for some reason, he still calls me crazy once in awhile!

The second contest I won was a lot bigger than the one I entered at the travel agency. This contest was a part of a cruise I took to Alaska last summer. The cruise line had teamed up with Alaskan Brewing Co. in Juneau to offer a fishing trip to Alaska. We went on the cruise in June, and I submitted my entry not long after we got back. Four days after Christmas, I was notified that I was the grand prize winner!

I had really forgotten all about the contest, and had only entered because they were sending t-shirts to all entrants. I do remember writing "pick me" on the entry form, as I now do on all entry forms since 1992. My hubby and I are looking forward to our Alaskan fishing trip this summer and also to enjoying an Alaskan beer or two!

World Math Day Video Challenge

The World Math Day Video Challenge is a contest for students in grades 3-8 to create a video for World Math Day. Entrants upload their video to TeacherTube to be voted on by friends, family and the world. Contest rules here, and videos must be uploaded by February 20th, so hurry up folks!

Winning Ideas Contest 2008-2009
Here is an ongoing contest for teachers that is easy to enter. Each month Scholastic gives teachers the opportunity to share their best teaching ideas with others through their Winning Ideas Contest. Simply share an idea from the month's topic. If your idea is considered the best one, you win $50 in Scholastic products. Easy-peasy!

No comments:

Post a Comment