January 20, 2009

What Makes a Hero?

Last week I wrote a post about Chelsey B. Sullenberger, the now famous pilot who saved many lives by his quick thinking and doing his job well. In my post, I called him a hero because that is how I see him because of his actions. The local newspaper in my community has an Opinion Line column. People can call in an anonymous opinion the the paper that will be published in this column. Sunday I read one such opinion that said Captain Sullenberger was not a hero because he was just doing his job.
I beg to differ! As I write this post, I am watching the inauguration of Barack Obama as our 44th president of the United States. I am overwhelmed by his speech of overcoming adversity and of hope. I think back to Abraham Lincoln and what he did for this nation. He was doing his job.
I am proud to say that my husband serves as a lieutenant for our city's fire department. Each time he enters a burning building in search of people stranded inside, he is just doing his job.
My dad gets up and goes to work each day while enduring prostate cancer...to do his job.
The lunch ladies who give free food to those students who have forgotten their money, or don't have money to buy lunch are doing their jobs.
They are all heroes, as are so many people who make a positive difference in the lives of others while "doing their job".
I shudder to think what would have happened if Chelsey Sullenberger had called in sick to work that day, or had decided not to do his job right at that crucial moment. Job or not, it is a person's actions and willingness to put other's before them that makes them a hero. If a person had to run a punch a clock before they could scoop a child out of the path of an oncoming car, nobody would be a hero.
Thank you, heroes, for doing your jobs!

Heroic Activities Celebrate Heroes
This article from Education World discusses heroes and offers links to activities, resources and lesson plans for the study of heroes for grades K-12.

3 comments:

  1. About the Hero thing, I'm not saying he isn't a hero, I'm just saying that I would hope that ALL pilots could pull off what he did, as it is part of their training!

    In the end, it was a mixture of luck and skill that saved all those people, and yes, he should be rewarded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your comment, Nathan. It makes me think more about what makes a hero. Perhaps it is as much the perseption of the person who views someone as a hero as anything the "hero" does to make them one. A person can do something that is considered heroic by one or more people, but then be a complete creep in other areas of their life. Therefore, that person would not be a hero in everyone's eyes. I also agree with your hope that all pilots, (cab drivers, bus drivers, etc.) would be able to apply their training to avoid disaster in any situation while on the job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great guy, awesome pilot, NOT A HERO.

    This guy summed it up quite nicely:

    http://bigbookofgrievances.blogspot.com/2009/02/heroes.html

    ReplyDelete