January 16, 2009

U.S. News

Interesting US news for this week and next. What a wonderful story about a new American hero, Chelsey B. Sullenberger, who landed a US Airways plane in the Hudson River saving 155 lives. While in no way would I ever want to have been on that flight, I would love to shake hands with this hero and tell him "thank you" for reminding me that there are great people in America. I can't imagine that there is anyone in this country who hasn't yet heard about this story, but if not, you can read about it here, or watch video footage below. Or simply do a search for Chelsey B. Sullenberger or Hudson River plane landing and choose from the thousands of results.


Coming up next Tuesday is an historic event that makes me wish I didn't have to work that day. Of course I am referring to the inauguration of Barack Obama as our nation's 44th president. History will be made on Tuesday when he becomes the first African-American president in US history. Luckily, our middle school has cable television access and I hope most, if not all, teachers will take the opportunity to view the inauguration with their classes.

My biggest hope is that our new president will celebrate our Sullenberger's feat on this day. What a joyous occasion it would be to see our newest president recognize our newest hero on such a momentous occasion!


Ideas for Active Viewing by Students While Watching the Inauguration

Check out this post on The Innovative Educator blog for some ideas on how to help students actively view the inauguration. Thanks to a post on Twitter, I found these ideas "just in time".

No comments:

Post a Comment