July 23, 2007

Blogs- what are they?

The term blog is short for weblog which is an online journal or diary. There are thousands of blogs on the web, covering all topics imaginable. I have 3 different blogs, 2 of which I use for classes that I teach, and the third was created for the presentation that I gave at the Laptop Institute last week in Memphis, Tennesse.



How do I use a blog in my classroom?



You can use a blog for many purposes. Most educators would probably think of using a blog to to keep students and their parents informed about what is going on in the classroom. But there are many educational purposes outside of basic communication. Check out the example blogs listed to see some of the many ways they are being used.










Many blogs are free to create. Below are some to check out.











Once you choose a host, it is easy to sign up. I find the most difficult part is what to call my url. I don't have much creativity there. If you can make it past the url, then simply start posting!




Oh, but wait!!!


What about blogging rules and safety? Check out these links for some ideas to incorporate as you venture into the world of blogging.










No comments:

Post a Comment